[haiku] Re: Haiku on low memory systems

  • From: Alexander Baldeck <kth5@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 17:41:02 +0100

On 11/04/2010 05:29 PM, David Given wrote:
I have a really old Toshiba laptop, a 520CDT. It's got a Pentium 166 and
48MB of RAM, which means that it has rather limited use these days.

I did try to boot Haiku on it, and it just doesn't work: as soon as the
boot loader loads I get a black screen with a blinking cursor in it and
it just hangs. I can't say I'm very surprised...

My question is: can Haiku be made to run on this at all? I know that
technically 128MB is the minimum supported RAM, but can this be shaved
down at all? For example, does such a thing as a command-line Haiku
setup with no GUI exist?

What I'd try is to get it installed via qemu on a raw diskimage. Put it on a CD together with a minimal Linux + dd utility, then partition the HDD and dd the image onto the laptop's disk 1:1. All this assuming it does boot the first active partition and does use a swap file per default. :)

I'd like to hear results too, got a few old machines around as well I could throw Haiku on. Of course, if there's a way to use a native Haiku installer...

Cheers,

-k