[openbeos] Re: Haiku on G3/G4

  • From: mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:08:09 -0500

From: Cian Duffy <myob87@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, November 22, 2004 5:44 pm
Subject: [openbeos] Haiku on G3/G4

> Sorry for dragging this topic up yet again, but are there any plans
> afoot for resuming the PowerPC port of Haiku before R1, or is it
> an R2
> target/beyond only?

"Officially", PPC isn't really a target at all. The short version of why is
that Apple doesn't want us there and doesn't tell us anything about their
(overpriced but very cool) hardware.

Having said that, NewOS came somewhat PPC ready and Axeld put some effort into
it. He has also received a Pegasos 1 to attempt the port. All of this has been
put on the back burner so that he could complete the "rest" of the kernel - the
stuff that is cross platform.

> How out-of-sync with the current tree is the PPC port? Would there be
> a huge amount of work required to drag it back into sync - other than
> writing something to load it from Apples OF, this is. Not
> something I
> ever envisioned doing myself, but I could take a hack at it if need
> be.

Even within the kernel, most of the code is pretty cross-platform. I would bet
that only 10% or so, depending on how you measure it, of the kernel is arch
specific.