[haiku] Re: Haiku Alpha 1 Live CD / fails on 4th icon

  • From: Zenja Solaja <solaja@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 07:25:49 +1100

Usually stoppage on the 4th icon means failure to mount boot partition form
within Haiku.  With some motherboard chipsets, Haiku has difficulties
talking to ATA devices.  Have you tried booting into safe mode (press space
before you see the Haiku boot logo), and selecting the option "Disable DMA
transfer" (or similar)?  This seems to allow booting on some chipsets
(including mine).  Test it out and report any issues you have (via Haiku
Trac database).  Dont forget to specify what motherboard chipset you have.

PS.  And dont despair.  It took nVidia over 3 years until they had proper
working ATA drivers for Windows XP.  And they had the chipset specs ...
Haiku are doing great with their limited resources.