[haiku] Re: Haiku Alpha 1 Live CD / fails on 4th icon

  • From: John-Paul Harold <expensivelesbian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 21:31:21 +0100

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Zenja Solaja <solaja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Usually stoppage on the 4th icon means failure to mount boot partition form
> within Haiku.  With some motherboard chipsets, Haiku has difficulties
> talking to ATA devices.  Have you tried booting into safe mode (press space
> before you see the Haiku boot logo), and selecting the option "Disable DMA
> transfer" (or similar)?  This seems to allow booting on some chipsets
> (including mine).  Test it out and report any issues you have (via Haiku
> Trac database).  Dont forget to specify what motherboard chipset you have.

that particular image on flickr was from me trying a variety of
options after pressing spacebar. I can't remember if I disabled that
particular one, but I can try and fiddle some more. I'll sign up to
Haiku Trac and contribute to the ticket Rene mentioned.

> PS.  And dont despair.  It took nVidia over 3 years until they had proper
> working ATA drivers for Windows XP.  And they had the chipset specs ...
> Haiku are doing great with their limited resources.

Yeah, I'm not worried I'll be in this situation long, it's just a bit
frustrating I'm not joining the party.