[openbeos] Re: GUI, scripting, etc

  • From: "James Mayfield" <cube148@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 14:45:36 -0500 (EST)

> I'd actually rather have perl as a standard as python has a much
> smaller
> usage base than perl.
>
> david

Again...i wasnt talking about standard language or only language or
anything like that...just point out that there exists a really powerful
and easy solution to making nice beos native gui apps...python.
Sorry to have caused such a stink.

> > Well, I am not really a scripting language fan, but I don't think
> > that
> > any important application will be created in a scripting language.

Hey...There is NO reason why quality, useful and 'important' apps can't
be done with these languages, pyhton/bethon in particular as thats what
I know.  My app, Chunk Backup, is quite useful..hehe.   If by
important, you mean some deep level drivers or fancy componant of the
OS, then sure.  But if you're talking everyday apps like email apps,
newsreaders, gui frontends to terminal apps, etc..the typical run of
the mill apps,  then python (or I suppose any scripting language with
the proper bindings) would do just fine.  Besides, Python goes beyond
'scripting'. Its a fully OOP, quite flexible language that just happens
to be interpreted instead of compiled.   And you can make nice binaries
too..

Anyway, i dont mean to be evangelizing or ranting...My initial purpose
in bringin this up was simply to point at something thats available and
say,"Look...there is something.."

I'll stop now..