[haiku] Re: GSoC'10 Idea : Ruby Interface

  • From: Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:05:51 +0100

Hi,

On 15 February 2010 14:26, Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While we're talking about GSoC, I was wondering whether it's fine if I
> apply again for this year's GSoC. I've been growing increasingly
> frustrated with BeZilla and *really* want to see the WebKit browser in
> a usable state.
>
> Also, index_server is still out there on my GitHub
> (http://github.com/GeneralMaximus). If someone wants to hack on it,
> they could use my TODO list from last summer as a starting point.
> Since I'll be off the exam/college treadmill in summer, I could lend a
> hand and even contribute some code :)
>
> Besides this, I'm thinking about a set of Python bindings (since I'm
> such a Python fanboy :p). Will that make a full-fledged GSoC project,
> though?

It will when you decide to make it more than pure C++ binding. The
issue with Bethon is that you are actually coding using the C++ logic
in Python.

I am actually experimenting (silently) on another approach, but up
until now with little success. Python and C++ are not as compatible as
I would like. Especially problematic are inherited hook functions.

So if your GSOC application is not just creating python bindings, but
a python interface, I would qualify that as a valid project.

Kind regards,