[haiku] GSoC'10 Idea : Ruby Interface

  • From: Akshay Gupta <kitallis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 03:17:02 +0530

Hey.

So, I have an idea for this year's GSoC project. I'd (as usual) would like
to run it by all of you. It's basically another addition in the Language
Binding list here http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/GoogleSummerOfCodeIdeas + a
possibly developer friendly Programming Interface something in the likes of
http://github.com/shoes/shoes especially for the Interface Kit for easy
development of GUI applications.
So, a possibly, considerably hard to write ;

class HelloWindow
    def initialize(frame)
        @window BWindow.new(frame, 'Hello', B_TITLED_WINDOW,
B_NOT_RESIZABLE|B_NOT_
ZOOMABLE)
        @window.view = HelloView(self.Bounds(), 'HelloView', 'Hello,
world!')
        @window.AddChild(self.view)
    end
    def QuitRequested():
        BApplication.be_app.PostMessage(B_QUIT_REQUESTED)
        1
    end
end

could be driven as ;

HelloWindow.app :title => "Hello world!", :resizable => false, :width =>
200, :height => 300, :zoomable => false {
 }
or probably something close/similar to that.

Before delving into more details, I'd like to ask if it'd be more relevant
to be spending time on beautifying the Ruby language binding (fulfill the
scope of the tenure of SoC?) or to be trying to get in as much languages as
possible. That's because stuff like BeThon for Python hasn't long been
maintained, doesn't cover the Haiku API and building it using SWIG might be
neater way. Also, I remember Ryan Leavengood being fairly interested in
getting the bindings done (thoughts?).

--
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42