[haiku] Re: [GSoC] Services Kit

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 13:56:09 +0200

I don't think you need a server for that. A "roster" class can do it.
Basically, it's a static class living in a library, that provides a
convenient starting point to get various information available in this
library. See
http://haiku.it.su.se:8180/source/xref/headers/os/locale/LocaleRoster.h for
an example of such a class (handling the internationalization stuff in
haiku). There are some others in the others kits in Haiku.

I like that way of discovering what the library can offer ! I better
understand the add-on system with that, the user can select what
add-on he wants to use for a single service, with a hardcoded
selection of by a whole system configuration (a "Pastewall service"
drop-down selection box somewhere in a users preferences dialog, for
example). Am I right ?

Yes, that's it. Of course the design will be a bit different than the one in the locale kit : there, the app can tell to the roster "find a translation of the text in my GUI" and the roster selects the proper add on depending on the format of the translation. I think for a service kit, the user would select the service he wants to use in a preference panel, and then the app would use this one automatically. This way the apps say "I want to pastewall some text" and the kit knows where the users prefer it to go. Of course it should still be possible to select a different website from inside the application.

I already read the posts related to the link you give, but they give
two orientations to Services Kit : the first is only an help for apps
wich make use of web services while the other offers services to allow
remote management, etc.
For me the purpose of the Service Kit is only to provide the client
part of web services. Could someone help me to clarify this ?

As of now, Haiku is still a client-side OS (mostly). So, provide the kit, and then people will write their own server and provide add-ons to use them. This is the most interesting thing in add-ons : at any time an app can use a new add-on without having to recompile the whole thing, and at any time a new add on can be installed without having to recompile the kit either. So people will contribute on both sides and the kit will make everyone happily collaborate.

PS: Don't forget to submit your application on the GSoC page this week.

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
http://pulkomandy.ath.cx