[haiku] Re: [GSoC] Services Kit

  • From: Christophe Huriaux <c.huriaux@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 13:48:36 +0200

> The point in using add-ons is to allow the app to use the service kit
> regardless of the service that's actually used in the end. For example, you
> could make a blog post in an app without having to know if it's going to be
> posted in skyblog or blogspot or somewhere else. Picture storing and
> pastewall services are examples of services that are available at multiple
> places.

I already got that in mind. I was thinking of, to continue your
example, a "PastewallService" class, using the raw WebService one, on
which add-ons for pastebin, pastie, and various others pasting web
sites could be elaborated. Others classes of web services could be
made for blogging services, social networks, etc.

> I don't think you need a server for that. A "roster" class can do it.
> Basically, it's a static class living in a library, that provides a
> convenient starting point to get various information available in this
> library. See
> http://haiku.it.su.se:8180/source/xref/headers/os/locale/LocaleRoster.h for
> an example of such a class (handling the internationalization stuff in
> haiku). There are some others in the others kits in Haiku.

I like that way of discovering what the library can offer ! I better
understand the add-on system with that, the user can select what
add-on he wants to use for a single service, with a hardcoded
selection of by a whole system configuration (a "Pastewall service"
drop-down selection box somewhere in a users preferences dialog, for
example). Am I right ?

> This was some older text I found from last year ... hopefully it adds
> to the overall picture
> =-=-=-=
> Basically the first thing to do is get a library to use http, ftp,
> etc... Similar in concept to Qt's QHttp, QFtp classes. Then a json
> parser is needed, but in the short-term a xml parser could be used.
> Ideally a XML Kit and a JSON kit would be created, again Qt's QJson
> could be some inspiration. After that you have the base stuff to start
> the work.
>
> //www.freelists.org/post/haiku/GSoC-Web-Services-Kit-OS-integration

I already read the posts related to the link you give, but they give
two orientations to Services Kit : the first is only an help for apps
wich make use of web services while the other offers services to allow
remote management, etc.
For me the purpose of the Service Kit is only to provide the client
part of web services. Could someone help me to clarify this ?

--
Christophe Huriaux