[haiku] Re: [GSoC] Services Kit

  • From: Christophe Huriaux <c.huriaux@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 12:13:29 +0200

I would like to have some reviews on the goals of my proposal if
possible. The following points are those I think I can complete within
the allowed time. The tasks marked as "optional" are those I can begin
before the end of GSoC if the others are completed, or after GSoC
otherwise.

 * Web core of Services Kit
    + HTTP library
        - Handling basic GET/POST requests on HTTP 1.0/1.1 servers
(with or without chunk encoding)
        - Functions to URL encode/decode data
        - MD5/SHA1 hashes computing
        - Giving developer the possibility of modifying every part of
the request
        - Basic cookie manager (optional)
        - Using HTTPS if available (optional)
    + FTP library
        - Accessing FTP servers with anonymous or login based connection
        - Shortcuts functions for basic commands (RETR, STOR, MKD,
RMD, RNTO, DELE, LIST)
        - Possibility to use raw commands for non-integrated ones

 * Data interchange formats kits
    + XML parser
        - Developing the XML DOM and/or SAX parser
        - Handling XPath requests (for DOM) (optional, but pretty
useful in order to use webservices)
    + XML document formatter
        - Ability to generate a clean XML document
    + JSON parser / formatter (optional)
        - Extracting data from a JSON request
        - Forging a JSON request from developer data

  * Services classes development
     - Development of various services class such as pastewall
services, last.fm, twitter, ...

 The web core and XML / JSON Kits are the very base of Services Kit as
they provides the most basic functionalities to be offered to
applications making use of web services.

 I'm still thinking of how to handle the asynchronous I/O of the web
network core in order to make the http/ftp requests as easier as
possible for the final developer.. QT has the signals/slots system,
but how about Haiku ?

 Moreover, a DOM XML parser is a fairly huge task and I can't find any
informations on a existing Haiku port of a XML library, it would take
a lot of the GSoC time, that's why I'm not sure of the exact timeline
of this proposal. To be fully completed, Services Kit would require a
little more time than summer, but I'm planning to be involved into
Haiku project even after GSoC end if I have the opportunity to work on
this proposal.

--
Christophe Huriaux