[haiku] Re: GSoC '12 Introduction

  • From: Andrew Hudson <hudsonco1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 09:49:12 -0500 (EST)

-----Original Message-----
From: Balaji Rao <balajirrao@xxxxxxxxx>
To: haiku <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Mar 5, 2012 2:03 am
Subject: [haiku] GSoC '12 Introduction

Hi all,

I am looking to work on Haiku as part of GSoC 2012.

I am mainly interested in the kernel side.I have some experience
coding for the Linux kernel and etherboot.

I have identified two projects from the list of suggested projects for
GSoC 2012.

1. Implement BTRFS support. -  I have studied the BTRFS implementation
a little in the linux kernel and also have written a couple of
elementary patches.
2. ACPI Video Extensions - (Slightly less interesting to me) I have
some driver writing experience in the linux kernel and I believe I can
do this too.

My questions are :

1. Which one would be of higher priority to Haiku ? (I guess it is the
ACPI thing ? If yes how much higher than the BTRFS thing ?)
2. I'm thinking of starting off with a patch that would say, be able
to mount BTRFS and do some elementary thing like list files etc.Is
this a good way to start ?

Thank you!

- Balaji

Hi Balaji,

I would like to express my opinion that extending ACPI on Haiku would be
a really nice addition to the project.

My impression is that BTRFS is intended to enable large, server-based
storage capabilities with performance better than EXT3 and EXT4. There is
very little server based activity on Haiku currently so the immediate
application is limited. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs

ACPI, Advanced Configuration and Power Interface, is a
"a well-defined power management and configuration interface specification."
It's something Mike Lutz has worked on but can still use more features,
and be added for more motherboards and laptops. There would be
immediate benefits to extending ACPI.

Regards,
Andrew Hudson