[haiku] Re: GSoC '12 Introduction

  • From: Alex Wilson <yourpalal2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 16:56:23 -0700

> I would say that if one were to rank these features in terms of value to
> Haiku, file system compatibility
>
> with Linux is fairly low ranking when it comes to features that new Haiku
> users would want.

But above either of these in terms of value to Haiku is the
possibility of another developer, imo. GSoC is really more about
getting people interested in and acclimated to the open source
environment. The code that we get out of it is a nice side-effect, but
if the student stays with Haiku, then their future contributions are
not limited to any one area. The best way to get a student to stick
around is to make sure they enjoy the summer, and if they're slogging
away at some boring task because 'the users' deemed it important,
chances are they won't come back.

> My criteria of high value is: will it attract new users, will it help keep
> them using Haiku. Right now a Linux/Haiku user has the options of
> ext2/ext3/ext3. So right now there is a good substitute for btrfs.  While
> ACPI is not a critical feature, it is not here, there is no real substitute.

There's no substitute for a usb-powered desktop thermonuclear reactor
either, but that doesn't mean we should build one. Furthermore, when
it comes to writing to a btrfs disk, there's no substitute for a
write-enabled btrfs driver. At any rate, both projects are useful, but
the best project is one that the student will enjoy and see through to
completion.

Anyway, maybe our student has some input or questions?

--Alex