[haiku] Re: GSoC '12 Introduction

  • From: Balaji Rao <balajirrao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 12:20:43 +0530

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Christoph Thompson
<cjsthompson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Some thoughts on Btrfs. Btrfs is still not completed and production ready.
> It's disk format might (and mostlikely will still) change in the future. So
> one has to take into account that maintenance will be required to keep the
> Haiku implementation in a working state. I think strategically, better
> (full?) support for EXT (in particular EXT4) would be more useful. I suspect
> that a sizeable number of Haiku adopters in the beginning will have a Linux
> background and therefore will want Haiku to cooperate as best as possible
> with Linux on their machines. FAT/NTFS support was a big deal for Linux back
> in the days. But nonetheless, the ACPI extensions sound like a really good
> idea too.

Nice point there about support for Ext filesystems, and especially Ext4.

I see that there was a SoC project which implemented partial support
for Ext3. Is there a document which lists the features not implemented
yet ?

Filesystem support would be easier for me than ACPI, as I can can
easily test it out in VMs! :)

Thanks!

- Balaji