[openbeos] Re: GCC 3/OpenBeOS & Standards Question

  • From: Ted Leeuwesteijn <thirdrock@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 14:06:59 +0200

Hello Andrew Edward McCall you emitted about [openbeos] Re: GCC 3/OpenBeOS &
Standards Question

>I don't think that this is supposed to be link this in Linux, I think
>its just happened due to lack of standards.

That's what BU tries to promote, a Standard that will do all BeOS  compatible
apps, with all it's undelaying needs, like deamons, Servers, UI kernel so
everyone that want to use it are working with the same base product.

>There is no "official" OpenBeOS distribution. If I wanted to (which I
>am seriously thinking about) I could start Blue & Red Distro Co.
>tomorrow and make my own distribution of OpenBeOS.
Well that's what BU is trying to establish, exactly withoug the problems that
all Linux distro's are having now, like missing "libthis" and "libthat" etc.
And some BeOS companies are already involved, at least the ones that can do
oem deals. Some major Software companies are also involved in that same
initiative. But since it is all in a preperation state ATM Donovan and Simon
can't tell to much about it until the current board of BU isn't done yet.

Let's just assume for now that the OBOS ppl are making the OS and BU is
promoting it.
In that case the right ppl are on the right place, someone mentioned it
already earlyier that same point. And i like to see the obos ppl not to be
bothered with PR and promoting stuff else than developing tools for it if
needed so they can concentrate on a good stable working OS without the PR
hassle.

>Just like I understand ReOS is doing.
I dunnow what their motives are but i suspect theirs are the same as the
others like me, to make BeOS successfull again. I for one will also make a
distribution but on the same core as the OBOS core, untill then i'll wait
until BU has straigten out all matters concerning that.

>A product? What product would that be?

Any app that you can think about but mostly drivers at the beginning since we
need those the most.

>This is also a task of OpenBeOS.

Hmm not particulairy, the Open BeOS ppl are dedicated to get a working
Compatrible BeOS system up where the basics are covered. Driver support has
to come eventually from the major hardware. manufacturers, also something BU
is looking in to.

>To me is doesn't. If you wanted to, you could compile and use only the
>software provided by OpenBeOS.org - this would be a basic core-
>distribution.

Just wait until BU is done with their mission statement. Most of will
probably answer most questions concerning this, like Donovan said in another
email.

>BeUnited are going to be adding things, tidying things up, and branding
>it as their version of OpenBeOS..... this is *exactly* like Linux and
>its distro's, other than the fact that OpenBeOS.org will be providing
>more than a kernel.

>Well, if there is an "official" OpenBeOS distribution, I think that
>many programmers have mis understood.

Often misunderstanding comes from lack of knowing.

>I might not want to take part in a BeUnited distro, and if they "won"
>the official name - who else tried to get it, why wasn't this an open
>bid etc. etc.
This was kind of and still is, BU does seek input from outside just to be
shure to cover all in's and out's of this whole issue.

Copied Deej safe harbour statement to be on the safe side.
:))
Oh, getting ahead of our vision statement again... :P  In that case -
Disclaimer:  These "forward looking statements" and visions have not
been set in stone or made policy by BeUnited.org as yet, and only
provided in explaination of our _present_intentions_ to the current,
ongoing discussion in this thread - they should not be expected to be
upheld at BeUnited.org or otherwise binding to BeUnited.org until an
official announcement is made.  ;)

After many 1000's of years we are beginning to understand the language
engraved in the pyramids, it may take less than one year for BU to engrave
those same kind of markings  and we probably understand them right away, so
it's not going to take a lifetime or more, be patient with BU and OBOS. Talks
are going on at many levels and the BU mission statement will present the
result of those talks in the form of a mission statement sometime in the near
future.

Grts
Ted.