[haiku] FOSDEM booth/devroom sharing

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: digulla@xxxxxxxx, ros-general@xxxxxxxxxxx, syllable-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 02:03:14 +0100 CET

(sent to AROS (please forward, I'm not on the dev list), ReactOS,
Syllable, CCed to Haiku)

Hello,
I'm a Haiku developer, <http://haiku-os.org>
and I would like to propose sharing a devroom, eventually a booth at
FOSDEM with some other FOSS OS projects.

I sent to the mailing lists as I couldn't identify a specific contact,
and I don't know how much centralized each project is.

Last year we had our own booth at FOSDEM (we it shared with an ERP
software),
I really enjoyed the event, and would like to also get a devroom this
year.
But I'm not sure we will have enough people to animate it all the time
(currently 3 or 4), plus we'd still have a stand to look after.

http://www.haiku-os.org/blog/mmu_man/2008-02-25/hello_from_fosdem

I know we shared a booth at last LinuxWorld with ReactOS and I heard it
was interesting:
http://www.haiku-os.org/blog/umccullough/2008-08-06/day_1_at_linuxworld_2008_a_solid_start
http://www.haiku-os.org/blog/umccullough/2008-08-07/day_2_at_linuxworld_2008_more_of_the_same

As the deadline for booth and devroom application approaches (it's
before 22 nov.), I was thinking about sharing a devroom that could be
called "alternative OSes", "grep -v GNU/Linux" or alike, with other
projects.
This way we could all get a devroom with fewer people to man it.

As for our project, we could have talks and hacking sessions on many
subjects, from architecture and design to installation, and specific
things like the using the FreePascal port, porting applications, using
replicants (like NetSurf).

We could also have common talks, about the platforms we support, our
design and goals.

And if needed we could probably also share a booth with another project
I suppose, last year we shared with a totally different software.

I'll be mailing a booth and devroom request tomorrow precising it,
before it's too late.

François.