[openbeos] Re: Driver proposal

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:47:28 -0400

>> Drivers will be needed on the R1 release any way. Why not accelerate
>> that part of the development and give better chance to BeOS?
>
>1) Not everyone is interested in writing drivers
>2) Writing drivers is hard and not very glamorous
>3) Hardware specs are not always available
>4) You can't force people to write drivers
>5) There are probably other reasons as well ;-)

I'll add #6 - there is already a place for people who want to write drivers -
BeDrivers.com
Drivers do (as was noted above) suffer from the same disease as kernels - it
takes a very special breed. Most of the people working on OBOS aren't that
breed. Not that they couldn't do it or wouldn't, but that isn't their talent.

Looking (briefly) at the BeDrivers.com site, there are a lot of choices of
things to work on. Most of them, though, are more "wish list" than
"necessities".