[openbeos] Driver proposal

  • From: "Vassilis Perantzakis" <vaspervnp@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:57:39 +0300

I am glad the NVidia drivers are not on hold. A little progress is a
lot.

I have a proposal to make to the OpenBeOS team. Since the date for R1 is
at least 1 to 2 years into the future, if not more, I suggest that for a
couple of months for each year, the team allocates resources to the
creation of drivers for BeOS / OpenBeOS. This will help keep the current
state of BeOS to alive and not partially dead.

Imagine if only we had a GF4 driver, and a Radeon 9700 driver, and a few
chipsets like nForce, or Centrino. They wouldn't have to be of top
quality (not 3d accelerated or anything too fancy), but just workable.

What do you think?   I am willing to help as much as I can with testing
(even buying the hardware, if I cannot find it) and some code (I am a
programmer, just not very good with C++ yet).