[openbeos] Re: Driver proposal

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:48:52 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Vassilis Perantzakis wrote:

> I am glad the NVidia drivers are not on hold. A little progress is a
> lot.
>
> I have a proposal to make to the OpenBeOS team. Since the date for R1 is
> at least 1 to 2 years into the future, if not more, I suggest that for a
> couple of months for each year, the team allocates resources to the
> creation of drivers for BeOS / OpenBeOS. This will help keep the current
> state of BeOS to alive and not partially dead.

You're making two assumptions here, that are not correct or at least might
prove wrong. The first is, that R1 will indeed still take more than one
year to be finished. Although some people keep repeating that we are still
several years away from our first release, I don't believe that.
The second one is, that are a lot of driver writers among the involved
developers. Some are, but a part of those keeps working on drivers anyway
(like Marcus) or even do nothing but drivers (like the undercredited
Thomas Kurschel).

I for one want OBOS to be finished as soon as possible. If it would still
take a year, I rather want to have in a year instead of in a year and two
months with just a bit more drivers.

CU, Ingo