[haiku] Re: Differences between BeOS and Haiku

  • From: Alex von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 16:47:18 -0500

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 22:04:07 +0200, "Miroslav Stimac"
<Miroslav.Stimac@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Could you please tell me what are the main differences between Haiku and
> BeOS?
> On the website of Haiku I could not find much information.

Haiku is an open re-implementation of BeOS designed to run on modern
hardware.

> Until now I think that Haiku supports some modern hardware devices and
> supports GCC2 and GCC4, depending on the distribution.
> BeOS supports only GCC2, or?

BeOS is compiled with gcc2.
A Haiku hybrid image will run legacy BeOS gcc2 applications, Haiku
compiled gcc2 applications, and Haiku compiled gcc4 images.

> Are there any other differences?

BeOS is closed source commercial software.
Haiku is open source and written to be fully backwards compatible to BeOS
R5.

> Are other differences planned for the future, such as new features
> regarding the graphic user interface or some other part of the operating
> system?

Haiku R1's goal is recreate the BeOS where R5 left off.

R2+ is still up in the air...
http://www.haiku-os.org/glass_elevator

Thanks!

 -- Alex von Gluck IV