[haiku] Re: Differences between BeOS and Haiku

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 20:40:10 +0200

On 2010-07-24 at 20:01:31 [+0200], Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> -- Stephan Assmus, on Sat, 24 Jul 2010 19:40:22 +0200:
> > > - Subtly modernized GUI (gradients, pop-up menus, button and border
> > > style etc.)
> >
> > Hm, I don't really agree it's subtle. That sounds a bit like I've
> > made
> > almost no changes, which isn't at all the case. It tooks quite some
> > work
>
> I didn't want to unterstate the changes (which I love) or your efforts.
> :)
> I wanted to express that the changes weren't a "radical" departure from
> the BeOS GUI.
> Ok, upon further reflection, let's just lose the "subtly" above. :)
>
> > There is just one area that BeOS R5 was better for me, which is
> > reliability. Haiku crashes very seldomly for me, I use it every day.
>
> Since I have quite some trouble with recent builds, would you mind
> revealing what revision you use?

Quite an old one, r37183, which is a random revision before some of the
Locale Kit commits sounded like they broke a lot of stuff. I have no idea
whether that's resolved or not. Since Axel is working on the network, I'd
also wait for that to stableize a bit, too, before upgrading. Usually I
don't upgrade well working Haiku installations, unless I need to in order
to produce correctly linked packages, or when someone fixed something
crucial or implemented something cool. But even the revision I use now has
silently corrupted my Haiku tree. Luckily I have not yet lost any
non-recoverable data.

Best regards,
-Stephan