[openbeos] Re: Cross Compiling Haiku on Another OS

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 12:46:25 +0200

On 2005-10-17 at 10:19:57 [+0200], Axel Dörfler wrote:
> Mathew Schofield <mr.skoe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Does anyone know about this, of this, or otherwise?
> > Is it related to the fact that my cross compiler is probably
> > shoty/craptacular?
> > Has anyone built a toolchain for Linux (Or anything else for that
> > matter)?
>
> Our current build system was not supposed to work on anything else but
> BeOS. It is currently being revamped by Ingo Weinhold in a separate
> branch - you could either use this version, or wait until Ingo merges
> his changes back. Making Haiku mostly independent from the build
> platform was the main reason for this work.

Yep, if you like, you can check out the branch
(haiku/branches/team/build/build_system_redesign). It is supposed to be
able to build a Haiku image from the sources under Linux. There's a script
included that builds the cross compilation tools from the sources
(build/scripts/build_cross_tools) and you have to specify them for the
configure script (--cross-tools-prefix, see --help).

The build system won't work on *BSDs yet, mainly because they haven't been
added as target yet. If you want to give it a try you can grep the
configure script and the build system files in build/jam/* for "linux" and
add respective stuff for your favorite *BSD.

> AFAICT the new build system is pretty advanced already, and Ingo is
> just waiting for me to make his life in merging the changes back a bit
> harder (ie. let me commit more changes).

Er, not quite. :-) There are still a few things to be done, which otherwise
would annoy some of our contributors, and ATM real life is interfering a
bit...

CU, Ingo