[openbeos] Re: Calculator still needed?

  • From: j_freeman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 07:32:45 -0500

> When it comes to something slightly more complex, like, for example,
> raising to a power, is it obvious that the caret symbol (^) is used for
> this?  Maybe to C/C++ programmers but not necessarily to a general user.
> Similarly, is it obvious how to use logarithms?  What about entering the
> value of pi?

Most calculators I've seen use a carat for exponents. My high school TI-83
calculator uses it, as well as many basic cheap "one-dollar" calculators. I
don't think anyone who's doing exponent expressions will not know what the
carat does, though I could be wrong. We should get--as DarkWyrm will be
doing--some general users' opinions on the matter.

As for Pi, why not have a Pi button labeled "Pi" or the Pi symbol? Of course,
this assumes the calculator app will have buttons. ;)

This message was sent using Conway Corporation WebMail -- www.conwaycorp.net