[openbeos] Re: Bootable Test CD

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 21:14:01 -0700

Howdy,

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 20:47 -0400, Karl vom Dorff wrote:
> It's hard to say, I agree with both sides of the story. I think maybe
> we should make the CD version available to registered members only.
> The public won't see it, and there's only >250 members at Haikuware -
> I think they're all well aware of where Haiku stands at this point as
> well.

Making the download for members only does not make a difference in the
fact that you are still distributing the live cd, particularly when you
still advertise here and there on your site the fact that the live cd is
available on Haikuware, and that all you have to register to get it. In
reality, what you have done is create an incentive for people to
register to your site, so that they can get the live cd that they would
not be able to get otherwise (for the reasons that Michael explained so
well).

There is another fundamental problem that has not been mentioned here,
and that is the fact that you are (still) using the Haiku brand in full
for something that is not created nor controlled or supervised in any
way or form by the Haiku project or the devs themselves. For those who
know, this may not be a problem; but with the increased exposure that
Haiku has been getting in the last year or so, this creates a situation
where a lot of people not familiar with the BeOS/Haiku scene are unable
to distinguish between Haiku and Haikuware, potentially creating
confusion and/or having a negative effect on the quality/value of the
Haiku brand.

The value of a brand heavily depends on how the product it
is associated with is perceived. The way you brand, name and announce
or even advertise the Haiku-based distros that you release on your site
blurs the line between what's Haiku and what's not. In other words, you
create the illusion that what is coming out of Haikuware is Haiku, when
it is not meant to be that way (at least not from the project's POV). I
know you have the best of intentions, but in a way you are hijacking the
Haiku brand, and in doing so, you risk creating a (negative) perception
of Haiku that the project has been going to great lengths to try to
avoid.

The devs have made a conscious decision protect the quality of the Haiku
brand by delivering only when a certain level of confidence is reached.
Let's respect that decision. The live CD, the alphas/betas, and even R1
will eventually come; we just need to be patient and give the devs their
time to do their work.

All IMHO and FWIW disclaimers apply.

Koki