[openbeos] Re: BeOS, BFS discussion on theregister

  • From: Timothy Covell <timothy.covell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,"Andrew Edward McCall" <mccall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 22:56:02 -0600

On Friday 29 March 2002 19:48, Andrew Edward McCall wrote:
> > > Just wanted to point to this great article:
> > > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/24648.html
> > >
> > > " A lot of people think journaling is a really difficult,
> > > complicated
> > > thing. But that was actually the easiest part by far. BFS
> > > journaling is maybe a thousand, maybe twelve hundred lines of code
> > > it
> > > was really not difficult. And people make it into this
> > > monstrous complicated thing. "
> > >
> > > heh - get cracking BFS team :)
> >
> > Hehe, thanks for the link Brian :-)
> > Actually, we have postponed journaling to be the last thing to
> > implement - we will have a fully working BFS without journaling
> > first.
> > We are still planning how to do the journal part, but we also plan to
> > circumvent some shortcomings of BFS there (serialized log access).
> >
> > Adios...
> >    Axel.
>
> This might be a long shot, but those guys seem pretty open about how
> and why they did things.
>
> I have Dominics book - and I haven't read it yet :) so I don't know if
> how to do journaling is in there, but if its not, I think that if you
> email them they would be glad to mail you back saying how and why they
> did things in the journaling code.

        I've read the book, it's very good.  However, it does not detail
the nitty gritty bits, only provides the "framework" kit.  Basically, it's
like a documented include file which details what is defined and how.

        Good luck on finding his address.  Last summer, I tried to
track down (google, etc.) Dominic to ask him about getting the newly deceased
BeOS to let him help with opening BeFS.    I got nowhere.  Finally, I tried
asked Scott Hacker if he knew, but he couldn't provide an address either.
Obviously,  those journalists know how to do their work.

        Anyhow, the point of talking to Dominic is mostly moot now.
The BeFS team is making good progress.   It's bad enough that we
have to worry about Be getting upset about Travis, I'd worry about
bringing another key Be developer onboard OpenBeOS.

Just my two cents.

timothy.covell@xxxxxxxxxxxx