[openbeos] Re: BeOS, BFS discussion on theregister

  • From: "Andrew Edward McCall" <mccall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 01:48:33 GMT

> > Just wanted to point to this great article:
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/24648.html
> >
> > " A lot of people think journaling is a really difficult,
> > complicated
> > thing. But that was actually the easiest part by far. BFS
> > journaling is maybe a thousand, maybe twelve hundred lines of code
> > it
> > was really not difficult. And people make it into this
> > monstrous complicated thing. "
> >
> > heh - get cracking BFS team :)
>
> Hehe, thanks for the link Brian :-)
> Actually, we have postponed journaling to be the last thing to
> implement - we will have a fully working BFS without journaling
> first.
> We are still planning how to do the journal part, but we also plan to
> circumvent some shortcomings of BFS there (serialized log access).
>
> Adios...
>    Axel.

This might be a long shot, but those guys seem pretty open about how
and why they did things.

I have Dominics book - and I haven't read it yet :) so I don't know if
how to do journaling is in there, but if its not, I think that if you
email them they would be glad to mail you back saying how and why they
did things in the journaling code.

Just  a thought that may help you get the code more BeOS-like.

Thanks

Andrew Edward McCall
OpenBeOS Preferences & Applications Team Leader
mccall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
--
OpenBeOS - Join The Revolution Now!
http://www.openbeos.org/