[haiku] Re: Archive formats with BFS support

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 18:46:34 +0100

On 2011-01-10 at 17:43:59 [+0100], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Sean Healy <jalopeura@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If I want to back up data on a BFS drive, are there any archive
> > formats
> > that support attributes? I wouldn't want to lose the attributes on my
> > mail or people files, for example, as it would render them mostly
> > useless.
>
> Not sure what else, but Haiku's zip definitely stores file attributes
> as well.

AFAIK it's also the only (available) one. Theoretically all tools that
support GNU style extended attributes would, when ported properly (using
Haiku's xattr wrapper), automatically support BeOS attributes. GNU tar
doesn't seem to support xattrs yet. I read that star does and bsdtar might,
too.

CU, Ingo