[haiku] Re: Archive formats with BFS support

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 13:18:48 +0100

Le 11 janv. 2011 à 12:13, Oliver Tappe a écrit :

> On 2011-01-11 at 10:24:24 [+0100], Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> On 11/01/11 02:07, pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>> At one point I'd hoped to use
>>> netcat or similar to back up large partitions with attributes across the
>>> net, but it seems that zip has to do a seek to back-write some final
>>> data, so a serial stream doesn't work.  I was wondering if it was possible
>>> to avoid that (my guess is no).
>>
>> rsync has xattr support, and there is a port in haiku-ports, but I'm not
>> sure whether or not it's been configured to use Haiku's xattr wrapper.
>> That would give an efficient way to keep a backup mirror up to date over
>> the net.
>
> Yes, it has been configured to handle native attributes via the xattr
> wrapper. I have done that in order to be able to backup my mails onto my
> Linux server. However, the attribute handling of rsync is pretty slow, either
> because I made a mistake during the porting process or because the xattr
> wrapper is slow. Unfortunately, I haven't brought myself to looking into
> that, yet :-\
>
> On top of that there's of course the problem that, depending on the target
> files system, the attribute space may not be large enough to contain all the
> attributes of a particular file. I've personally seen problems with ext3.

Yes it limits the total size for xattr storage to a single block per inode IIRC.
And ext4 is no better there, I wanted to talk with Ted T'so at last FOSDEM
about it but he was too busy.

Another problem is the current state of xattrs usage is you cannot rely on them
outside Haiku anyway, since each OS and app has its own scheme for converting.
playing around with Samba will screw it up for ex. Since there is no commonly
agreed interoperability scheme.
I still intend to try and get all of those to agree someway, but I don't really
have the time yet.

François.