[openbeos] Re: Afternoon, all

  • From: Peter Mogensen <apm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 21:47:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Erik Jakowatz wrote:
> > I'll guess that when we're done all the nice features we like in BeOS
> > will be found in every other major OS anyway.
>
> You may be right, and if Linux/FreeBSD/etc. were to magically become as
> cool a desktop OS as BeOS,

I don't think so, not the first many years... but rewriting BeOS will also
take many years and in that time Linux/... _will_ get several new features
and HW-support (even though they will never get as sexy a foundation)
which will give us an eternal struggle to keep up... while we rewrite
BeOS.

> ...  The only other viable routes, in my mind, are Windows
> and OSX.  The invasive registration process that MS is implementing for
> Windows XP and beyond rule that out for me -- that thing is *never*
> going on my home system.  If that means I don't get to play the latest
> games, etc. then so be it.  I'll be damned if I buy into the Big Brother
> system they want to build.

I 100% agree... that, and about 1000 other technical, ethical and pratical
reasons why I have absolutely no interest in endorsing a Microsoft OS.

> OSX seems, in at least a few ways, to be sort of cool, but I don't want
> to be stuck buying unnecessarily expensive hardware that doesn't perform
> as well

I could easily live with a G4... if only I hadn't beg Jobs for permisson to use
it for anything else than MacOS.
MacOS X is actually really nice .. of course.. NeXTstep was nice :) ... but for
now I prefer toying with GNUstep, which is nearing completion and they do a lot
to be MacOS X compatible.

> Which is why reimplementing on a kit-by-kit, server-by-server basis
> makes sense.

It's definitely one of the better ways :)

> For example, it would be pretty daft to reimplement the
> net_server and *not* make sockets file descriptors,...

Hmm. wouldn't that require a kernel modification?
Gee... it's really shitty that BONE is still under NDA... at least the rest of
BEOS 5 PE can be used.

> I'm willing to cross that bridge when I get to it.  If nothing else,
> there's an awful lot to be learned in the process of trying to do it. =)

That is correct...  :)

Peter