[openbeos] Re: Afternoon, all

  • From: "Robert Medeiros" <robert.medeiros@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 18:30:28 EDT

Hey Marcus et al.,

>We really need to find out if there a any people here who actually can
code a kernel and an OS.

I've got *theoretical* experience in kernel-land, having taking some
courses on the subject at school, and written some small-to-moderate
sized chunks of system code for school projects, but that doesn't
exactly translate into "team lead" at this point. :) Especially since
my interests are more in the graphics arena. I'd feel comfortable
contributing to development in those areas, however, if work was
needed.

OTOH, I've been thinking about the difficulties inherent in reverse-
engineering something like app_server, particularly given that we
haven't reached consensus (is this *possible*?) as to how to proceed
with the kernel (Mach, NewOS, ModulOS, from scratch, etc.). I'm
thinking right now (and of course, all of this is contingent on what
Palm decides to do) that it might be interesting to create an
abstraction layer - an app_server that renders a virtual desktop into a
BDirectWindow, say, so that the kinks can be worked out in user-land,
and once things firm up as far as the kernel goes the two could be
mated together. Just some early musing that I'd thought I'd share, but
let me say now that I appreciate the efforts of those members of the
community who are making the effort to contact Palm and to try and
salvage something of the whole situation. I've filled out the survey at
BeFAQs, and several other petitions, with a warm fuzzy feeling that
things are finally progressing, one way or the other. Resolution is at
hand; we're finally getting out of Limbo. :)

Take it easy,

Rob