[openbeos] Re: A question/concern re OSS

  • From: "Richard Crawford" <richardcrawford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 13:36:53 PST

>>Don't get me wrong here, but the one reason why I am pushing
>>for a central dev. and a central marketing/certification
>>"authority" is because I don't want to see work being
>We don't need a certification authority.
>Many of us also do not WANT any outside certification authority.
>
>>canabalized, and I don't want any possible distro to ride on
>>the volunteer effort put in by anyone, BeUnited or OpenBeOS.
>That the way open source software is supposed to work.
>Accept it, or drop your encouragement in OSS.
>
>>I know the concerns of the open sauce advocates ("we don't
>>want another single company to rule over BeOS again"), but
>>other than Be, Inc. BeUnited is a non-profit entity, has
>Well, I'm a non profit entity, too.
>Please, let ME decoide what going on here.
>
>>many members that are also OBOS members (and vice versa),
>>and will clearly acknowledge when it is goofing up - for
>>this our internal communication works just too well.
>"internal communication"? You are a closed group,
>similar to Be Inc, or the BlueOS team, as it appears.
>I don't like that.
>
>>Your take please.
>Here it is. You asked, you get it.
>
>Marcus

        I am sure that all groups have internal communication as well as
outward communication. That is what makes it a group. I am sure all
groups, from BeNews.com, BeUnited.org, open-beos.sourceforge.net, and
CodeLiege.com, all have internal communication between developers,
website maintainers, users, etc, etc. This is what makes them groups,
they all communicate inwardly in order to function and get the job
done.

        Some people, as Helmar stated, belong to several different groups.
This should prove in and of itself that all groups have the same goals
here of professionalism and an excellent product, and that all should
be out to work together, with their own specialities, with no need for
any smart/rude speaking to each other. It is not necessary when the
groups are so tightly knit as they are (people belonging to several
different groups). If something would go foul, everyone would know
right away.

        OBOS has so many talented folks working for them on the source
code, as well as other areas of the project, the website, everything,
and truly this is a great thing.

        OBOS also has many other resources, because it is such an important
part of the BeOS community. You guys have got resources and people with
excellent talents and resources just absolutely oozing from every
crevice of BeOS-Land. Please, do not turn away these gifts that are
freely given to you. You may, later on when OBOS is much more
developed, desire these resources, which only mean to help.