[openbeos] A question/concern re OSS

  • From: Helmar Rudolph <helmar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: phoenix@xxxxxxxxxxxx, openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:41:47 +0200

Another thing that concerns me is this: if OBOS focuses on
the technical side, yet allows others to use its source for
distros, who initiates and coordinates talks with companies
like AMD (for SMP, etc support) or any other one we would
like to see support the BeOS? BeUnited? And if BU does it,
and passes the "right" on to OBOS, will the changes in the
OBOS code then also be available to other distros?

Don't get me wrong here, but the one reason why I am pushing
for a central dev. and a central marketing/certification
"authority" is because I don't want to see work being
canabalized, and I don't want any possible distro to ride on
the volunteer effort put in by anyone, BeUnited or OpenBeOS.

I know the concerns of the open sauce advocates ("we don't
want another single company to rule over BeOS again"), but
other than Be, Inc. BeUnited is a non-profit entity, has
many members that are also OBOS members (and vice versa),
and will clearly acknowledge when it is goofing up - for
this our internal communication works just too well.

Your take please.

Helmar