[haiku-web] Re: Update to the videos page - easy task?

  • From: "Dennis d'Entremont" <dennis.dentremont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:42:06 -0300

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Sikosis <sikosis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Indeed it would be nice - however I don't think there is much we can do.
> The FakeFlash plugin using VLC doesn't work. I know all the vids I've made
> are mp4, so we could host those on haiku-files.org - of course they'll be
> bigger files.
>
> On another thought, has anyone from Haiku officially contacted Adobe about
> getting Flash support. Linux has support for flash ... Is it open sourced ?
> Anything we can reverse engineer ?

As far as I know it's not open sourced (althought it should darn well be). I
have no idea what Adobe's intentions are but I do think that contacting them
is a good idea.

> More and more sites are using flash - I'd hate to see Haiku become a 2nd
> class citizen on the web.

Flash is so widely used these days that it should be a requirement that we
have some sort of solution in place. There is this,
http://www.haikuware.com/bounties/flash-port-bounty, bounty in place at
Haikuware to port Gnash or swfdec to Haiku. There`s no takers yet but
hopefully someone will pick it up eventually.

--
Dennis d'Entremont
IT Professional CNA, MCP, A+, ITIL