[haiku-web] Re: Update to the videos page - easy task?

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:04:10 -0700

2008/8/25 Jorge Mare <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Dennis d'Entremont
> <dennis.dentremont@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Sikosis <sikosis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> On another thought, has anyone from Haiku officially contacted Adobe about
>>> getting Flash support. Linux has support for flash ... Is it open sourced ?
>>> Anything we can reverse engineer ?

Adobe has actually opened more of the specs on their flash format
recently - and they did open-source their ActionScript (javascript)
engine for Mozilla to use IIRC (SpiderMonkey?).

>> As far as I know it's not open sourced (althought it should darn well be). I
>> have no idea what Adobe's intentions are but I do think that contacting them
>> is a good idea.
>
> Haiku is pre-alpha, has zero market share, and no business plan. This
> is not very compelling for a business like Adobe (and I am being
> diplomatic here).

I'd say we get R1 out the door, and we'll *maybe* talk to Adobe then
;) (although, as suggested, it probably won't be worth the effort for
them)

Perhaps they'd be willing to work with someone under NDA or some
such... who knows.

> Haiku at this point in time. If after R1 or R2 is released our
> developer/user base grow and Haiku reaches certain critical mass, then
> the story may be different; until then, the open source alternatives
> may be the only options for Flash support.

I'd really like to see renewed effort on Gnash or swfdec. With the
proper dependencies ported, I suspect these will be the best immediate
options available for Haiku.

I'd recommend taking this topic to the haiku-development mailing list
for further discussion.

-------

Back to the original topic though:

I'd at least be willing to seed torrents for any videos that are out
there already... if someone wants to setup some torrents, let's post
them on the website and I'll seed the crap outta them :)

- Urias