[haiku-web] Re: R1/Alpha 1 release tasks

  • From: "Remi Grumeau" <remi.grumeau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:47:32 +0200

> We need to be very careful in managing the expectations for this
> release; a lot of people don't understand what an alpha release is (by
> either ignorance or sometimes even choice), so it is important to make
> it crystal clear that this is an early development release not meant
> for the average Joe end user who expects a fully stable/functional
> system with Flash/Java and the whole nine yards. The way we convey
> this release should clearly reflect that.

Clever view. I clearly lost the focus. A countdown is in this case definitly
not a good solution (but perhaps for R1 ?).

So, what about:
 - give this alpha a name: Firefox has its "Deer Park", Flash Player its
"Astro", BeOS R5.1 its "Dan0"  ...
 - a welcome prompt window at startup
 - an "alpha release, for developpers" mention in the About window
 - a "Report a bug ?" icon on the workspace or Deskbar
 - a contact@xxxxxxxxxxxx / support@xxxxxxxxxxxx /
bug-report@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx People

Rémi