[haiku-web] Re: R1/Alpha 1 release tasks

  • From: "Jorge Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 16:31:44 -0700

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 9:47 AM, Remi Grumeau <remi.grumeau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> We need to be very careful in managing the expectations for this
>> release; a lot of people don't understand what an alpha release is (by
>> either ignorance or sometimes even choice), so it is important to make
>> it crystal clear that this is an early development release not meant
>> for the average Joe end user who expects a fully stable/functional
>> system with Flash/Java and the whole nine yards. The way we convey
>> this release should clearly reflect that.
>
> Clever view. I clearly lost the focus. A countdown is in this case definitly
> not a good solution (but perhaps for R1 ?).

From a marketing POV, a countdown is not suitable nor that important
for an alpha 1 release (IMNSHO).

For R1, maybe, but then the question of whether a countdown is viable
or not still remains.

An after the fact countdown would be marketing for the sake of
marketing, and not really meaningful.

> So, what about:
>  - give this alpha a name: Firefox has its "Deer Park", Flash Player its
> "Astro", BeOS R5.1 its "Dan0"  ...
>  - a welcome prompt window at startup
>  - an "alpha release, for developpers" mention in the About window
>  - a "Report a bug ?" icon on the workspace or Deskbar
>  - a contact@xxxxxxxxxxxx / support@xxxxxxxxxxxx / bug-report@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> in People

Those are interesting proposals, but I was specifically referring to
the website (hence the message on this list), not Haiku itself. Maybe
you can send a message to the [haiku-development] list for possible
addition to the alpha 1 release wiki in Trac.

Back to the website, what I had in mind visually was something a bit
like thinkgos.com, (perhaps not as flashy), with a shorter intro than
what we have now, and links such as Download it, Install it, Test it,
Report bugs, etc., followed by the existing "What's New" area of the
front page.

I think that would focus the message of the website in line with the
purpose of the alpha 1 release, and serve the purpose of hand-walking
the intended target audience (developers & testers) in the direction
that we would want (testing, reporting bug, submitting patches in the
appropriate places).

Jorge