[haiku-web] Re: Drupal-Trac Single Sign-On...

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 18:22:42 -0700

Hi Gavin,

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 22:26 +0000, Gavin James wrote:
> Jorge G. Mare wrote:
> > I understand that it is convenient if you can share the user accounts
> > between the website and Trac. However, in all my ignorance, this really
> > sounds like an overly complex approach for a relatively minor
> > convenience gain. After all, it's not like having separate accounts is
> > a critical flaw that will turn people away from the project.
> >

> Perhaps not away from the project... but it may turn people away from
> filing bugs. At the moment anyone who is a member of the website is also
> able to file a bug report (through the integration with Trac). If the
> integration is removed then anyone wanting to do that will also need to
> create an account on Trac... and having to register does often turn
> people away from bothering with things like this.

Trac account registration is so easy (it took me no more than 5 seconds
to create a new account), that I highly doubt that it could become even
close to being a showstopper for people wanting to file bugs. Really, go
for example to http://dev.rubyonrails.org and try it out for yourself,
and you will see what I mean.

> The alternative of course is to not require registration to use Trac...
> but I don't know how this will affect other things.
>
> > Also, having separation has its positive sides too, such as making
> > maintenance and upgrades of each system easier without the risk of
> > having an adverse effect on the other system.
> >
> > I have the feeling we have more important things to address on the
> > website than putting too many resources into this, but then that's just
> > my opinion. :)
> >

> Some degree of work will need to be put in to undoing the current
> integration or redoing it depending on what's decided. I use Trac very
> rarely myself so the decision doesn't really affect me. With that in
> mind I don't feel that it's appropriate for me to make this decision
> myself... which is why I've started this topic. I do recall that
> dropping the integration was briefly brought up before and the
> developers seemed largely against it. If that's still the case then I'd
> rather not go against their wishes (they are the ones who will be using
> Trac after all). But failing any other suggestions for how we might
> accomplish this I see no other option. =\

This was briefly discussed in the Haiku Inc. mailing list, where there
are only five devs, out of which just two said they would prefer if we
kept things as they are now.

For one thing, this is hardly representative of the desires of the
entire Haiku dev pool. But even if it were, we have to consider the
ramifications of this choice.

I have nothing to do with the maintenance of Trac, so I will leave this
to those who take care of the system. But from the POV of the website
(which I do care), this integration is a nuisance, as it adds an extra
layer of complexity to future upgrades, enhancements or migration to
other server (or even another CMS).

I understand your concern about how the devs may react. But we have to
do what's best from a maintainability and sustainability POV, not just
what's most popular. Having separate systems is definitely cleaner, and
the cleaner the better. IMHO, adding this extra complexity just to
avoid a one time 5 second registration requirement for new users is
simply not worth it.

As usual, IMHO and FWIW. :)

Cheers,

Koki