[haiku-web] Re: Drupal-Trac Single Sign-On...

  • From: "Curtis Wanner" <katisu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 21:52:56 -0400

Nielx wrote:
> I also do not agree that this is 'hacking' drupal in
> the ferocious sense of the word you seem to be implying. Drupal has
> been designed to be extended, and you should be glad it is designed
> this way, as it enables the website to be the way it is today. Have a
> look at the actual source code first, before claiming it's a big
> hack.

To me, "hacking drupal" implies that you are actually changing core modules.
Something that is highly not recommended.  IMHO, if you are creating or
changing an extension that's not a hack (at least not to drupal itself).

Jorge wrote:
> What happens  when we upgrade Drupal?

This is not a major problem if he is actually writing an extension.  Worse
case is the link gets broken and we are back to square one with separate
logins.  Granted, I assume a fix would have to be done on trac.

Quite honestly, I'm not impressed with the idea that trac will be dependent
on haiku-os.org to be up for it to allow users to login.  Can it be set up
that registration happens through haiku-os.org and then updates be made only
when users update their profiles?  I would think it would generate less
traffic that way too.

I'm also of the opinion that this is marginal convenience.  From what I've
seen, the people that are serious about reporting bugs would register
anyway.  If anything, the shared login seems to have encouraged some people
to report bugs with very sketchy information or ask for weird enhancements.
I don't know, maybe that would exist regardless.

While Jorge may be overreacting a bit, I tend to agree with the general idea
of his comments.  Before making the changes, it should be thought out the
possible consequences of these changes.  I for one was not too happy that
adding comments on trac was broken for a while.  That certainly didn't
encourage or help people to add bug reports and information did it?  At the
very least, I hope Niels has a free schedule to fix problems if he does
implement this shared login.  I'd rather not see a prolonged period with
login problems.

While I appreciate and understand the "Get It Done" attitude, there has to
be a better team approach to what is being done. Especially if Niels isn't
always going to be available to fix problems.  At the very least, I hope the
changes are being properly documented.

Curtis