[haiku-inc] Re: Media Kit Contract: Still something to say

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 21:16:38 +0100

Hi Dario,

I'm surprised you're still that angry after all that time.

Well, we (as in Haiku Inc.) certainly didn't do a good job there, but you *really* shouldn't take it personally.

Am 06/12/2016 um 16:12 schrieb Dario Casalinuovo:

Before all I'd like to thanks Haiku Inc. for having replied me to my
contract proposal. No reason, no reply has been given either to me or to
the users. I can say I felt hindered for the whole contract duration.

What are you referring to here exactly? Even I managed to reply to you, even though I had pretty much zero time back then (though my mail didn't state much more than that).

I consider the Haiku Inc. behavior offensive for both users and developers.

It wasn't offensive at all; you really mustn't take this personally.
It might have been an unacceptable performance, and I'm really sorry we dropped the ball.

In the meantime Haiku Inc. is missing to show us their financial reports
since three years now, for me it could be a scam.

Don't you see the connection there? Most of the people involved in the Inc. are doing this for years. Pretty much all people on the board have very little to no time at all; we're only really still there because we didn't run away quickly enough. We didn't intend any harm, we just didn't have the time to prevent it.
And we did pay you for the work you were actually contracted to do, didn't we? Calling Haiku Inc. scam is actually offending.

As result of the Haiku Inc. behavior, I'm going to self-exile myself
from BeGeistert until something changes.

BeGeistert has zero to do with Haiku Inc., but whatever conclusions you draw is up to you, of course.

I decided to don't care at all about Haiku Inc.

That's certainly a good way to deal with the situation. But ultimately, it's the open source spirit: if you want to get it done, do it yourself. It's fine if you don't, but don't complain then. I know it should be a bit different with Haiku Inc., and it surely was a few years ago, when Matt still hold us together. But you're certainly welcome to do better if you can.

The reason why we had such a hard time with you was because your proposal was controversial. We certainly did discuss whether or not to hire you again, and if we should or could support something like UltraDV. It's not an excuse that you didn't hear much from us, as that just went wrong. But it might give you a hint why we didn't all shouted "yay, please" -- that much time we definitely could have spent.

We do have a responsibility for the donations that keep Haiku Inc. alive, and we don't give away any money without being sure it furthers the project.

Again, I'm sorry that it went that way, but given our current resources, I cannot promise that there won't be times that no one in the Inc. has the time to even do the basic stuff right or at all.

Bye,
   Axel.