[haiku-development] Re: mdr-r: to branch or not to branch

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 22:30:23 +0100

Hi,

On 08.02.2011 22:21, Clemens wrote:
I'm just about to commit my mail refactoring changes and realized that
branching would be quite time consuming/ annoying. Because the same
would count for potential testers, is there somebody who would tests the
branch? or is it more likely that somebody will test it in trunk? If
there there is no willing tester then it makes no sense to use a branch
because most stuff is ready now.

I basically test everything and there should hopefully no mail lose/
random mail sending. What could happen more likely is that filters does
not work probably or that the system is incompatible with old mails on
the machine. The account format and, because of that, some mail
attributes changed. This could cause problems with archived mails (I
think more a problem with POP than with IMAP)...

Hm, it would have been good to be able to follow your commits in a branch while you were working on it. Smaller changes are more easily digested. It will be hard to review the whole changes at once.

Now that you are done and want actual testers, it may be better to commit to trunk in order to get enough exposure. Do you have time to fix problems in the near future? If not, and if there are too many issues, we could roll back your changes if it would delay an upcomming alpha release.

Best regards,
-Stephan