[haiku-development] Re: [haiku-commits] Re: haiku: hrev47664 - src/kits/tracker headers/private/tracker

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 21:59:20 +0200

Hi,

Am 18.08.2014 21:42, schrieb John Scipione:
On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 3:35 PM, Julian Harnath
The question is, what you want to do in Tracker. Should it extract
these pieces of file information on-the-fly and only display it? Or
would it extract this meta-data and then also _store_ it as filesystem
attributes?

You're spot on to the problem I think, should Tracker just be
responsible for displaying the meta data collected elsewhere or should
it also be responsible for creating it as well? I don't have a great
answer to that question but either way Tracker needs some work to be
able to support more media attributes (but not too much).

On the one hand, I would want the system to inspect files only the moment I look at them. Including the feature when I scroll down, it stops scanning files it scheduled while I was looking at the top of the list and instead scans the ones I look at now. Nautilus does that well now after annoying me for years.

So a tight coupling with Tracker seems like a good idea.

On the other hand, I don't want Tracker to crash just because FFmpeg crashes, or some image translator. So outsourcing into a separate process seems like it would be a good idea as well. Maybe some sort of service which is controlled by BMessages.

Best regards,
-Stephan