[haiku-development] Re: [haiku-commits] Re: haiku: hrev47664 - src/kits/tracker headers/private/tracker

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 15:42:42 -0400

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 3:35 PM, Julian Harnath
<julian.harnath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb:
>> You say that you're not sure that it's Tracker's job to extract media
>> attributes, but, if it's not Tracker's job, who's job is it? Do you
>> envision a Spotlight-like background process running to collect the
>> info perhaps, or maybe a dedicated app that you'd run on demand?
>> Maybe
>> several dedicated apps each dedicated to a specific set of media
>> attributes ala Swiss Army Knife?
>
> The question is, what you want to do in Tracker. Should it extract
> these pieces of file information on-the-fly and only display it? Or
> would it extract this meta-data and then also _store_ it as filesystem
> attributes?

You're spot on to the problem I think, should Tracker just be
responsible for displaying the meta data collected elsewhere or should
it also be responsible for creating it as well? I don't have a great
answer to that question but either way Tracker needs some work to be
able to support more media attributes (but not too much).

> In the latter case, the next question is if and how the attributes and
> the in-file metadata are kept in sync...

I think the answer in either case is quite clear, node monitoring is
how the metadata will be kept in sync. Either Tracker will do the node
monitoring or another app will.