[haiku-development] Re: gsoc2010: File systems

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:08:51 +0100

Janito Ferreira Filho <jvffprog@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm currently leaning toward implementing something along the
> ext2/3/4 path.
> Maybe NILFS I could implement later, outside of GSOC. Anyway, maybe I
> might
> not get as far as ext4, but either way, I am aiming for some write
> support,
> whichever I do. As far as I understood, there isn't write support for
> ext2 yet, is
> that correct? If so, I think that would be a nice place to start. Any
> opinions?

That sounds like the way to go.
ext2 write support shouldn't be too hard, although I would try to go
for ext3 already, initially (we have ext3 read support, too, as long as
it was cleanly unmounted), as this should give you a better picture of
how to implement it properly.

Another option would be to start with adding read support for ext4 -
this would give you a complete overview over ext2/3/4 functionality and
inner workings, and might actually help with implementing write
support, too.

In any case, the existing ext2 code should be a good base to start
from. Alternatively, one could try to port the Linux code into a new
file system; I'm not sure that would be much easier, though, and having
an MIT licensed fully implemented ext4 file system in C++ sounds
appealing to me as well.

Bye,
   Axel.