[haiku-development] Re: bep for VLC

  • From: Cian Duffy <myob87@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 17:35:01 +0000

On 3 December 2012 17:08, Andrew Hudson <hudsonco1@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> http://ports.haiku-files.org/wiki/media-video/vlc/2.0.3
>
>  Would it be possible to make fixing these bugs a priority? It would be great
> to have an updated VLC running on Haiku. I resurrected an old testing version
> of 1.0.5 and was able to start it and play videos. Sound was broken and it
> had warnings on startup but that is still a big improvement.

The issue isn't bugs, the issue is that there are no remenants of the BeOS
port and, effectively, VLC needs to be re-ported from scratch.

The 2.0.3 .bep will build a VLC executable that has a hacked together Haiku
audio playback module. It has no video output, no interface, and leaks
memory at a phenomenal rate due to how badly the audio playback is
written...

The 1.0.5 build you have is probably using the QT interface? This is likely
still practicable with 2.x but I haven't had the interest to build it.

I've been incredibly short on time and frequently not even had access to
all my machines recently due to moving house, but I may, possibly, have
time to look at VLC again before Christmas.

Regards

Cian