[haiku-development] Re: bep for VLC

  • From: Andrew Hudson <hudsonco1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 12:08:46 -0500 (EST)

On 03/12/2012 15:36, Andrew Hudson wrote:

> I see that there is a bep for VLC. Is there any chance of getting a new build
of VLC using the bep?

> I'd like to do some VLC testing but need a new build. Miqlas, the usual
maintainer is busy with other stuff.

If I remember correctly, the available beps are very outdated and the
newer versions don't even build a functional release due to the
requirement for a number of other 3rd party libs etc.

The old release (0.8x?) had had a native interface written for it.

A new release was being worked on (by Cian I believe) to update the
whole build including native front end eventually, but I think it only
got as far as the backend libraries building from what I saw on IRC?

http://ports.haiku-files.org/wiki/media-video/vlc/2.0.3

Would it be possible to make fixing these bugs a priority? It would be great to
have an updated VLC running on Haiku. I resurrected an old testing version of
1.0.5 and was able to start it and play videos. Sound was broken and it had
warnings on startup but that is still a big improvement.

Thanks,
Andrew