[haiku-development] Re: Would I Offend You Were I To Sell Haiku?

  • From: Michael Crawford <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 19:18:33 -0800

What I would do is to explore the nightlies for the most-stable
version of each software package.

There are some packages that have formal test scripts or written test
plans.  To the extent that they do, I'd run them, then provide the
specific version of the package that passes the most tests.

I expect that I would omit packages that I regard as unstable, or that
are at a very early stage of development.

I have observed that Haiku is commonly used as a testbed for
conceptual UI design, for example finding better ways to tile new
windows.  I think that's great, but what end-users really need is a
stable platform, whatever the UI happens to be.  I would provide that.

So strictly speaking I would be creating a fork.  If I pursue this
there would be a lot of work for me, both in pulling in new code from
you folks, as well as fixing things for my users then contributing
patches back to the community.

I am rather better at debugging than I am at implementing new features.
Michael David Crawford, Consulting Software Engineer
mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.warplife.com/mdc/

   Available for Software Development in the Portland, Oregon Metropolitan
Area.