[haiku-development] Would I Offend You Were I To Sell Haiku?

  • From: Michael Crawford <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 18:12:50 -0800

Friends,

I was one of the more active Be developers - #6922 - but have been
only marginally active in the Haiku community.  I keep intending to
contribute, but then life keeps intervening.

I'd like to find a way to do well by doing good.  One way I have in
mind is to sell a supported version of Haiku.  I would give it a
distinctive trademark that made clear that while derived from Haiku,
it was not your product, I don't know but something like "Mike's
Haiku".

I'm not real sure how I'd sell it, but perhaps I would sell
preinstalled computers, as well as charge money for support incidents,
and bug fixes that were important to my customers.

I would of course contribute patches back to the community.

There are two shops around here where one can get used computers,
Power Up in Vancouver, Washington and FreeGeek in Portland, Oregon.
FreeGeek teaches people to refurbish computers, then gives them one to
keep after they've refurbished six units.  Power Up removes the memory
and hard drive, then makes most of its money selling the memory and
drives.  I'd buy all their memory- and storage-less PCs, put in new
memory and drives, and install Haiku.

Please tell me what you think of this.  Would it upset you were I to
be charging money for all your hard work?  Whether or not that would
be the case, would you regard it as a good idea?

Thanks,

Mike
Michael David Crawford, Consulting Software Engineer
mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.warplife.com/mdc/

   Available for Software Development in the Portland, Oregon Metropolitan
Area.