[haiku-development] Re: What to do with termcap?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:48:06 -0500

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Landon J Fuller
<landonf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So in that regard I don't see anything wrong with shipping ncurses, and
> really, think that moving software that the OS reuqires *out* of the core
> system is counter-productive. It just means a lot more work to manage putting
> the same bits and pieces back together again, ala Linux distributions.

The difference between Haiku and Linux is that Haiku is a full system
and even if the pieces of software we use are not in our source
control system, they are still integrated with our build system.
Therefore there really isn't any sort of "Linux distribution" like
drawbacks in having to piece everything together again. When Haiku is
built, the required packages are downloaded and used. No end-user will
ever install Haiku and find that Bash or ncurses is missing for
example.

The basic idea is that once a piece of software has been properly
ported to Haiku, there should be no need for us to maintain our own
version, with all the headaches that entails. It should just be able
to be built by the HaikuPorts team, and then made use of by the build
system when we build and package Haiku.

--
Regards,
Ryan