[haiku-development] Re: What to do with termcap?

  • From: pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 18:44:29 +0100

> Having all the core components in-tree makes it a lot easier to maintain
> the system cleanly in lock-step, add support for OS-specific features in
> lock-step with the OS release, deploy to new targets, update to new ABIs,
> and otherwise manage the core system as a cohesive whole.

That's not true. We don't blindly use svn:externals or similar tools, but
use a clearly identified version of the external packages. So, we can update
them only as needed and matching the OS releases if we need so.

We used to copy all the 3rd party sources inside our tree. This was changed
for several reasons :
 - We had to convert all the build systems to use jam instead of their own
stuff. This usually introduces bugs in the 3rd-party software
 - Updates have to be done manually, and it's a mess of merging/reworking
our patches against mainline sources
 - Building all this stuff makes the Haiku build longer and more memory
hungry than it needs to be.

The argument that bootstrapping a new target is a problem is still valid.
But the Haiku build system makes it quite easy to build a toolchain for
other archs and use it for building the software. The proper fix is to make
haikuporter (and/or setgcc) aware of the different compilers.

--
Adrien.