[haiku-development] Re: We've switched to Git!

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 01:29:14 +0100

Oliver Tappe wrote:
> As the switch to Git changes the general workflow, it is expected that
> we'll need to refine the process, and maybe parts of the infrastructure,
> too. I suppose we'll learn on our journey to distributed development.

As I realized, reading the commit mails in "lazy mode" -- i.e. reading the log
messages without the diffs (at least for components one isn't interest
in/familiar with) -- has become less convenient, since for multiple changesets
the commit messages are sprinkled in between the diffs. Moving all the messages
to the top of the mail would probably less convenient when wanting to read the
diffs in context. Duplicating them at the top would work, but waste space, so
I'm unsure whether I would like that. I guess it would at least be nice to have
a "git log --oneline" at the top of the mail. That would hopefully also make
the committers more conscious of the recommended commit message format
(particularly the length of the first line and the blank line after it).

CU, Ingo