[haiku-development] Re: VirtualBox Haiku Development Image

  • From: Andrew Hudson <hudsonco1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 16:03:03 -0500 (EST)

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
To: haiku-development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, Feb 29, 2012 3:39 pm
Subject: [haiku-development] VirtualBox Haiku Development Image

Another idea I have been thinking about to lower the barrier to entry
into Haiku development is a VirtualBox VDI which is already set up as
a Haiku development machine with a recent known to work revision, the
necessary (and up-to-date) build tools, and an anonymous Git copy of
the source (maybe not checked out to save space.) It could also
include tutorials and start up guides which show up on the first run,
useful Desktop shortcuts, etc.

I know Karl at Haikuware has build VMware images like this in the
past, but I would like to make this an "official" Haiku resource which
is produced by the project and officially supported.

Has anyone done something like this already?

Another option is to install Haiku on a Flash drive and boot off of that. It's
not quite as fast as a native disk but it sure is easy and convenient.

- Andrew